Solar Energy in Syunik Region
20 Feb 2020
The number of "solar" projects are planned to be implemented in the region
Today the sunny Syunik region is located in the active zone of the most efficient use of solar resources:
- In 2019 solar water heaters were installed completely free of charge in one community adjacent to Shikahogh Reserve in Zangezur Biosphere Complex.
- In 2019, a solar PV station was installed at Agarak School by grants, which has allowed to save about 3 million drams a year.
The Minister of Environment of RA during his interview mentioned about planned works, which are:
- Solar PV station installation in two high mountain villages of Meghri region to provide them with electricity and solve the problem of water heating.
- Installation of water heater free of charge in three more villages with 150 households, which will reduce the pressure on the surrounding forest areas
- Upgrading Kapan psychiatric hospital with a solar PV station in the near future. It will significantly reduce its operating costs in the future.
- Another unique energy-saving option - the production of environmentally friendly briquettes and pellets. It can also solve the problem of heating in the villages. About 150-200 thousand euros will be spent on this project.
Referring to the solar energy sector in Armenia, Armenian Energy Agency are happy to note the increase in 2019 compared to 2018. The number of solar power plants connected to the ENA has increased by 1226 (24999.38 kW).